Girard-Perregaux Sea-HawkIIPro review: Engelsk review.

Medlem
25. juli 2012
Sted
Troms
Siden min Norsk er ikke legendarisk… Kommer det i engelsk.:p

20131110_134812_zpscaf06aad.jpg

P1010729_zpsc5226317.jpg

01cbebc3-6142-478f-a656-1ee4a6a55bf1_zps52c0bfb1.jpg

I received my new Sea-Hawk II Pro about one year ago and I thought that it was about time to give my insight on it.

There´s been lot of reviews on the net and you will find there, all you need to learn about this watch.
Still: I think that this watch deserves one more photo-shoot with my personal visions and comments.
The 3000 meters titanium Sea-HawkIIPro was launched in 2004 in a brushed version: The one I own with polished lugs didn´t come before 2005.
One could say that at this time, the watch was among the biggest divers around and certainly one of the "meanest" beast you could put on a wrist in term of diving watch available on the market.
With it´s 44mm case, 45mm bezel and past 20mm in thickness: The wrist presence is undeniable.

The titanium case makes it light for it´s size and the watch never felt heavy on my wrist: 134 grams is not what I would call heavy for a diving watch of this caliber, especially if it sits well on the wrist as it does, even with it´s 57mm lugs-to-lugs size.
And it does sit well in fact: At list, on my wrist, the case and it´s straps snugs perfectly, making me often forgetting that I wear a big watch.
You should not expect it to slide under your shirt´s cuff as a submariner does: It won't since it´s 20mm of thickness won't melt away.
The watch generally sticks right out and shows itself: I like it this way.
You will observe 2 helium valves on the case: One in the left side, right in the middle of the case and one in the right side, oriented at 12 minutes.
Why two?
Because Girard Perregaux could...
Because they spared nothing into the conception of this watch, because it´s all about performance even one valve would have been enough with saturation diving.
The crown is 8mm in diameter, with "sharp teeth" and signed GP with a light sand-blasted finish: A real delight to manipulate as well as the bezel.
With gloves or not, the grip is instantaneous and efficient on both of them.
At first impression, it seems like the crown don´t sit fully against the case when entirely screwed in: But it does.
In fact, a slight bevel in the base of the crown gives this effect.
I really love the crown´s 21-minutes position and the aesthetic of the crown guards blended with the case and lug: It feels very comfortable and it looks different.

Now, about the bezel...
It´s a 120 clicks bezel action and those are feeling good: Not too roughs, not too smooths with maybe a tiny half millimeter small play in between when you are really looking for it.
The clicks are falling greatly in place with a sharp sound and that´s all you need even if you are picky.
The great thing is that even the bezel action is smooth and the bezel grip excellent, you will not turn it just by pushing it easily with one finger.
Meaning that your bezel is "safe" of any sudden moves to say so.
There is no insert in the bezel: It is fully made of two(2) parts in titanium with a luminous 2mm dot located at 12 which is very bright at night.
The bezel has one inside-part around the crystal with the engraved markers until 15 minutes, numbers from 20 to 50 and another one outside-part as a "grip ring".
I like the details on the bezel and it´s great charm with the polished markers&numbers rising from a light sand-blasted background.
P1000347_zpsc8aafa77.jpg

As told before: Turning the bezel is an easy task…With neoprene, wool, leather gloves.
You can´t miss it even with cold fingers.
The rest of the case is brushed with it´s polished lugs tops compare to the first Sea-HawkIIPro which was out in 2004 and fully brushed.
I like it better with the polish lugs: It gives more dimension into the case and more quality/luxury feel as well.
You will observe that the crystal is sitting slight above the bezel: Maybe a half millimeter.
The crystal has an anti-reflect coating on both sides and a very very slight dome shape.
Watching the dial under day-light gives a quality sensation since the crystal seems to vanish easily from the sight.
I never had any scratch problem with the coating: It stands perfectly until now.
This 4.85mm thick crystal contribute to a great 3 dimensions effect already given by the hands which are sitting well above the dial and each-others: But just by looking at it, the dial feels closer somehow…
The date window placed between the 5 and 10mnts dial markers is unusual: It goes like 1mm deep inside the dial within a steel tone small rectangular frame with round corners.
It is discrete but still very available when you look at it.
I have a perfect sight and reading the date never been any trouble for me on this watch but for others it might be more difficult, who knows.
For those with bad eyes, the date might be the only thing you could not see at a once on this dial: The rest pops right out.
Never the less, I like the date window since it melts inside the dial without scorching it.
P1010501_zps648f7b27.jpg

P1010492_zps03485afa.jpg

I really appreciate the power-reserve indication on this model: It´s a great feature in every day´s life and certainly one that should be a standard on diving watches.
There´s a "Down---Up" scale with a red zone dressing the arrow hand: It´s not too much but just enough for any quick understanding about the "life-span" of the movement.
The other hands are large and very visible: A fast look is enough there and I bet that the vision is great as well under water.
I´ve been reading about french divers trying MANY watches among this one in the Caribbeans and the only CON they had about the SeaHawkIIPro was the 7400€ full retail price…
One nice detail as well, is that even the dial seems to be in mat black, it is in fact kind of black glossy-glitering: It don´t always shows but it´s a cool effect to observe on sunny days or under intense light.
The dial markers are thick and painted: Over 1mm large. Visibility is undeniable there.
The minute hand is as well very visible with it´s thick luminous tip and it´s red painted needle: In day or night conditions.
I personally love the hands shape in arrow and sword and find nothing to do better there: This watch has it´s identity and I appreciate it the way it was thought and conceived.
P1010447_zpse25dcea8.jpg

P1000636_zps3e83ba80.jpg

P1030006.jpg

For the lume: You will not be deceived…
It charges very fast and last all night once fully loaded: The dial´s readability in dark conditions is top notch and the markers´s lume is reflecting on it´s brushed chapter ring.
P1030015.jpg

20131209_191113_zps684be8cc.jpg

The back of the watch is nice: The shield representing a sea-snake with an anchor/trident, meaning "Do Nothing Without Advice" appears polished on a sand-blasted background.
This symbol was patented in 1897 by GP, witnessing one more time about it´s rich maritime past in watchmaking.
dafb2e29-9e7d-456e-b19d-573f005e236d_zps03b4161c.jpg

Well, I think that we made a full round about the case…What about the straps?
The watch comes with 3 options: Rubber straps, leather straps, titanium bracelet.
For the divers, the rubber will serve best from what I´ve been reading around.
The leather straps are often "shorts" : Big wrists beware!
The bracelet is fully CNC made in titanium and will cost heavily: Classed among the most expensive bracelets in the watch industry.
I have the leather option with sand-blasted titanium deployant which is quiet simple.
A bit short on me but still fitting.
The tricky thing is that the 22mm straps are curved at them ends and fitted for the leather version with curved pins: There´s possibilities to find special leather straps or custom-made ones that will content your wishes…

Let´s talk about the movement.
It has the in-house automatic movement GP 033RO with 46 hours in power-reserve, 26 rubies, 28800 b/h(4Hz)…
Ceramic ball-bearing on the rotor and fully decorated bridges/plates with "oeil de perdrix" and "côtes de Genève".
Mine goes very well!
As an example: Today is the fifth(5th) day with consecutive running (in the box, on the table and on me…) and I have now only +1 second error compare to the Atomic-Clock on the net.
The first two days it went -1 second/day and then yesterday, the 4th day, it was showing 0 seconds error…
The movement "corrects" somehow it´s timing by himself there: It´s a result of the different timings obtained in it´s respective positions and temperatures.
All in all: Very precise movement.
Reliable? Well, people say so. I never had any trouble this last year: Its a breeze…
One should believe that after soon 223 years, Girard Perregaux knows how to make movements and certainly didn´t choose a fragile one to beat inside this action watch.

The new Sea-Hawk line is more angular: Right now, I still prefer my version but it´s my taste.
You will find in the older models: Steel, steel-gold, titanium brushed cases as 1000 meters in steel or the ultimate "Pro" in 3000m version and titanium.
Now you know a bitt more about the Sea-HawkIIPro and you might be already on the very edge to buy one…?
Mine is the number "800 something" and my guess is that not many of them was produced.
Girard Perregaux manufactures around 12000 watches by year on the last public records and I never had any answers about how many of those S-HIIPro was produced over the years when I mailed them.
My guess is that my model is no longer produced since the new line appeared this year, but who knows...
Girard Perregaux is not a brand you will see on TV, on posters…
But they are all around the world doing shows, participating to big horology conventions etc.
GP won prizes and awards since 1867: One could say that they are a historical brand with no need to splash around, specially since they produce only "a few" pieces by year compare to other known brands.
I like that GP been modern and innovating even it has a traditional past: They continue in this direction, producing for the few and the connoisseur…
You will find a bunch of pictures and infos on the links I posted under.
Since it´s the dark season here in the Arctic and the sun is gone, I had to use old pictures and a poor one for the back of the watch since I don´t have any light box for photography.

Don´t ask, I don´t sell...;)
Cheers

William.

Links for more info!

ThePuristS.com Girard-Perregaux "Sea Hawk" models - an incomplete history

Girard-Perregaux Sea Hawk Pro II

Watch Reviews by MCV: Review of Girard Perregaux Sea Hawk II Pro

Girard Perregaux Discussion Board: The mighty SEA HAWK II PRO - FLYING TOURBILLON "Challenger of Record" (many pics)

Redigert:
Takker som deler @Hammerfjord - GP gjør mye bra og dette ser ut til å være et eksempel på det.
Deres "true" constant force escapement fra Basel er også eksempel på hvor innovative de er fortsatt idag
IN-DEPTH: The Girard-Perregaux Constant (Force) Escapement, Explained

Værsågod! Ja, jeg har følgt opp dette med den "Constant Escapement" : Virkelig bra!
Prislapp: 114.000€ bare...:rolleyes:
Det er bra at fortsatt, noen er villig til å bruke tid og fund på slik innovasjoner uansett at det blir ikke alminelig over natten. Det gjelder ikke om profitt men mer om prestisje og kontribusjon til urmakeri sin historie.

Redigert av en moderator:
Fin review. Jeg prøvde den nyeste Seahawk (De kalled den kun "Hawk" nå) i New York tidligere i år. Et helt utrolig stykke med klokke. Vanvittige detaljer, kul kasse. Diger men designet på en måte som gjorde den elegant på armen. Kvalitet over hele fjøla. Blir en GP på meg en dag, og da kanskje en Seahawk?

Fantastiske ur dette og flott review. Jeg elsker alt med dette uret bortsett fra størrelsen;)

I en vrimmel av deskdivere er dette et sant undervannsverktøy med sin byggekonstruksjon, powerreserve, sinnsykt fete bezel og lesbarhet.

P1030006.jpg

GP Sea Hawk Pro

2123412_zps95308686.jpg
[/IMG]

Kult å se at flere har GP!

Denne modellen går "kun" ned til 1000m.

Diameter 44mm, tykkelse 14,5mm
Verk: GP 033RO

Redigert:
Takk for at du tar deg tid til å skrive slike lange reviews! Jeg la in flere bud på
denne i gamle dager, før jeg endte opp med andre ting. En tøffing!