Høstdepresjon

Tilbake til London

Tredje dag startet med rolig frokost som inkluderte to kopper svart kaffe og en cheddar og pickle sandwitch i senga. Ble en temmelig sen kveld. Så vi droppet å dra ut for å spise frokost. Like greit å gjøre det suiten. Å skulle man ha noen spesielle ønsker, så fikser hotellet så og si alt. Men apettitten var begrenset til kaffe, mer kaffe og enkel sandwitch.
Ble enige om at jeg skulle ta en tur til Marcus Watches mens madamen tok seg en tur i badekaret. Helt genialt. Da hadde jeg i det minste halvannet time for meg selv før jeg blir etterlyst..

Nok en gang. Er så deilig å bo midt i smørøyet. Alt er innafor en radius på 5-10-15 minutters gange.
På kartet har jeg laget tre striplet sirkler. Blå er innafor 5 minutters gange, grønn 10 minutter gange, og rød er 15 minutters gange.
Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 09.57.49.png

Å Marcus Watches ligger kun 180 meter fra The Westbury. Så vi snakker knappe to minutters spasertur.
Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 09.51.49.png

• Liker
Reaksjoner: Havvo
Ble ønsket hyggelig velkommen hos Marcus Watches av en temmelig striglet og stram sikkerhetsvakt i nypresset dress. Ikke den typen du har lyst til å bråke med....
Ruslet litt rundt å tittet inn i de forskjellige monterene. Stoppet opp brått ved MB&F. Å fikk så øynene opp for noe helt utenom det vanlige. Ja, jeg har jo skrevet og postet om det tidligere. Men steike. Disse Legacy Machine klokkene er i en klasse for seg selv. Bokstavelig talt. Ingenting ligner på de. Noe helt unikt hvor balansehjulet er i fokus. Snakker haute horology, haute couture!

• Liker
Reaksjoner: Hvalrossen
En virkelig søt dame i sine beste år kom så bort til meg å lurte på om jeg ville ta en nærmere titt på klokkene. Å det ville jeg selvfølgelig. En annen person viste så meg bort til en lekker sittegruppe mens Ash Chowdhury plukket med seg fire forskjellige MB&F Legacy Machine.

Én etter én ble plassert på brettet foran meg. Kjente allerde nå at jeg fikk gåsehud. Å det får jeg bare ved å tenke på episoden hos Marcus Watches her jeg sitter nå.

Første ut er LM101 Frost
1 (1).jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Sakset fra nettsidene til MB&F
With the ‘Frost’ limited editions, the large balance wheel of LM101 now contrasts magnificently against the effervescent backdrop of a frosted gold dial. Additional contrast is provided by Frost's highly polished bezel and lugs, which make the matte surface of the frosted dial really pop.

For many, the word "frost" conjures forth images of breath-condensing cold and bright, early-morning winter sunshine scintillating off frost-covered lawns. That natural frost sparkles vivaciously due to light reflecting off the microscopically uneven ice crystals – exactly like the LM101 Frost sparkles due to light reflecting off its microscopically uneven frosted surface.

Abraham-Louis Breguet is credited with inventing the “frosted” finish in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. At the time, frosting protected dials and movements from oxidation and added subdued vivacity to movement plates. Traditional frosting methods involved dangerous acids which have been largely replaced by the safer method of carefully compressing the surface with a wire brush. This is however a much more difficult process to master and very few artisans today create true frosted finishes: the majority of surfaces that look frosted have in fact been bead blasted, which does not quite have the same visual impact.

LM101 Frost is available in two limited editions: 18 pieces in yellow gold and 33 pieces in red gold.

Redigert:
Andre klokke ut var Legacy Machine N°1 i i 950 platina i limitert utgave av 33 eks. Platina gir en behaglig tyngde på armen. Nesten litt i overkant. Men dette er ingen liten klokke. Den er et stort kunstverk som krever sin arm og mansjett. Hun hadde også tatt med utgaven i hvitt gull. Jeg vet hvilken jeg hadde valgt.

1 (1).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg

Sakset fra MB&F sine nettsider:

Wild, extreme, outrageous, unrestrained: might be used to describe MB&F's futuristic Horological Machines, but traditional, classical… round? With its monumental central balance; superlatively finished movement; completely independent dual time zones; unique vertical power reserve indicator and elegant annular case, Legacy Machine
N°1 (LM1) is a tribute to the great innovators of traditional watchmaking; and above all, an authentic three-dimensional MB&F Machine.

Legacy Machine N°1 was conceived when Maximilian Büsser started fantasising: "What would have happened if I had been born in 1867 instead of 1967? In the early 1900s the first wristwatches appear and I would want to create three-dimensional machines for the wrist, but there are no Grendizers, Star Wars or fighter jets for my inspiration. But I do have pocket watches, the Eiffel Tower and Jules Verne, so what might my more traditional machine look like? It has to be round and it has to be three-dimensional: Legacy Machine N°1 was my answer.”

Gazing down through Legacy Machine N°1's crystal clear bubble sapphire dome to the micro-mechanical fantasy below, it's easy to imagine Jules Verne’s Captain Nemo looking upon the mythical underwater city of Atlantis.

Redigert:
  • Liker
Reaksjoner: sjuli_123 og Vegard
Tredje modell, og fjerde klokke er Legacy Machine No.2's med to flyvende balansjehjul.
Den jeg fikk leke med var i 18k rødt gull. Deilig varme i metallet. Dette kombinert med med den lyse, blanke skiven.
Fryd for alle sansene.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Sakset fra MB&F sine nettsider
Legacy Machines are wondrous reinterpretations of significant horological inventions by the greatest watchmakers in history. So the contemporary look endowed by the otherworldly appearance of Legacy Machine No.2's dual flying balances, suspended high above the dial from four gracefully arcing arms, may at first appear paradoxical. But make no mistake; LM2 is a timepiece tracing its lineage back over 250 years to three of the greatest watchmakers who ever lived: Abraham-Louis Breguet (1747– 1823), Ferdinand Berthoud (1727– 1807) and Antide Janvier (1751– 1835).

These horological legends of the 18th century are united not only by their inventive genius, but also by the fact that they have all constructed clocks and watches with two balances. Oscillating on high, the exalted double balance wheels of LM2 were inspired by one of the rarest mechanisms in the history of watchmaking: the dual regulator. And rarer still, the average rates of Legacy Machine No.2's dual regulators are transmitted by a differential to a single gear train, where the majority had two separate movements.

On display under a domed sapphire crystal cupola, the dial of Legacy Machine No. 2 is an object lesson in symmetrical simplicity. Top to bottom: the white stretched lacquer sub dial at 12 o'clock, with its blued gold hour and minute hands, is visually balanced by the large, raised differential at 6 o'clock. Left to right: the two flying balances and their escapements are identical mirror images, right down to the position of the stud holders pinning their balance springs.

While the levitated oscillating balance wheels of the binary regulators catch and hold the viewer's gaze, it is the large planetary differential sitting proud of the dial that is the real heart of Legacy Machine No. 2. In an incredible feat of micro-engineering − and the sheer paucity of timepieces with multiple regulators connected via a differential attests to the enormous difficulty in creating such a complex high-precision mechanism.

Immaculate Geneva waves, gold chatons, mirror-polished bevels and bridges designed with deliberate internal bevelled angles showcase the movement's peerless fine finishing. Consistent with MB&F's spirit of transparency, the names of the two men responsible for the movement (Jean-François Mojon and Kari Voutilainen) are hand engraved on the back.

Two and a half centuries after three of the world's greatest watchmakers put two balance wheels into their movements, MB&F celebrates their pioneering works by creating LM2, a timepiece with two balances hovering outside the movement.

• Liker
Reaksjoner: sjuli_123 og Vegard
....Man blir målløs bare av å tenke på fantasien og langt mer evnen til å skape noe sånt. Så utrolig masse talent der ute.

• Liker
Reaksjoner: Edzilla
....Man blir målløs bare av å tenke på fantasien og langt mer evnen til å skape noe sånt. Så utrolig masse talent der ute.

Man blir helt "starstruck" når man får oppleve disse på nært hold @Vegard
Skal man dra noen linjer til billedkunstens verden, så blir det som å få bli med på en reise inn i sinnet til skaperen av verket.
Hvilke følelser han bar på når bildet kom til livet, hvilken historie som blir fortalt, talentet som eksponeres, angsten som blåttlegges....

Eks. dette bildet av Arne Ekeland, De siste skudd, 1940, Nasjonalmuseet
01.jpg

Håkon Bleken, Madonna tar av seg glorien I, 1978, Nasjonalmuseet
02.jpg

• Liker
Reaksjoner: Longhairdontcare
Ble en sen lunsj i dag. Hjemmelaget Pho-suppe uten kjøtt. Herre Gud jeg er ett matvrak :oops:
image.jpeg

...Men mens jeg spiste leste jeg en fin artikkel i Tatler om de 18 beste restaurantene i SOHO. Hvilken restaurant tror dere var med på den listen?

• Liker
Reaksjoner: sjuli_123 og Preacher
Hvis ingen flere ønsker å tippe så kan jeg jo avsløre at det er The Palomar!
Dette burde da du av alle her har gjettet @Havvo ;)

Her er en kopi av artikkelen fra Tatler

THE 18 BEST RESTAURANTS IN SOHO
Since London Fashion Week is back in Soho for another season, we bring you our roundup of the restaurants to be seen in before, after and maybe even during the shows...

L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon

After stints in New York and Taiwan, Xavier Boyer, who helped launch London's L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon in 2006, is back at the helm. Try the counter, where the cool folk hang, or head upstairs to La Cuisine, where everyone else squeezes in. Confit tuna and lemongrass seabass are the dishes to go for.

Morden & Lea

Named after the cartographers who first put Soho on the map, this is a new brasserie, over two floors, fromformer Claridge's head chef Mark Sergeant. You'll eat really well here: tasty tartines, roast duck with garlic potatoes and gypsy tart with clotted cream, a signature dish that goes back to Sergeant's days with Gordon Ramsay.

Chi Kitchen

In the unlikely surroundings of Debenhams, hidden away at the rear of the ground floor, this new all-day pan-Asian from Eddie Lim, the man behind Mango Tree, is justwhat the mean streets around Oxford Circus need. They do seabass with chilli and lime, a fiery chicken curry and, for breakfast, Chinese waffles with berries.

Shuang Shuang

Prawn heads with lemongrass, Dingley Farm pork and black-fleshed chicken with Chinese berries are just three of the big-flavoured broths at London's first Chinese hotpot restaurant, a cross between the Stockpot of yore and Yo Sushi. Grab delicious extras from the conveyor belt to add to the sunken pot and Bob's your uncle.

Bocca Di Lupo

This charming, buzzy, relatively inexpensive Soho joint reminds us that Italian cooking is much more of a local, seasonal affair than pasta and a veal chop. Dishes, which come in small or large sizes, are referenced regionally - fried Roman carciofi, perhaps, or partridge with bagna càuda from Piedmont - and the all-Italian wine list is very strong.

The Palomar

Less is Moor at the Palomar, an outpost of Jerusalem's Machneyuda restaurant and one of London's most talked-about places to eat right now. the menu zigzags the Middle East and ducks into Moorish Spain and the Maghreb. Start with nishnushim (Hebrew for snacks) and move on to sublime truffled polenta in a jar, Persian oxtail stew and rose-scented milk pudding. It's mad, mashugana, happy and carefree and the only problem is hooking a reservation.

Bao

It started life as a market stall in Hackney's Netil Market but BAO is now settled into a permanent home in Soho. The Taiwanese eatery is known for its gua bao (steamed milk buns), made every day on the premises, with fillings like braised pork with peanut powder, fermented greens and coriander (amazing), and lamb shoulder with daikon pickle (doubly amazing). Pig-blood cake is also offered for the brave. Wash down with lashings of Taiwanese beer, sake or whisky. No reservations.

Yauatcha

Is it a patisserie? Is it a teahouse? Is it a dim sum restaurant? Turning 11 this year, Yauatcha is all three. On the ground , it serves what are very likely London's most exquisite dim sum at lunchtime, before the space morphs into a teashop mid-afternoon, with beautiful cakes and pastries, which you can eat on the premises or take away. At dinner, downstairs is the way to go, for those divine taro croquettes and venison puffs. A new Yauatcha opened in the City in May this year.

Blanchette

This bucolic little Frenchie tucked just inside Soho has bare brick walls, tables too close together and scarcely enough room to park even the tiniest derrière. But never mind. The food is heaven: ripe, runny cheese, crispy frog's legs in a paper cone and braised lamb with anchovy in a sauce soubise. The star of the show, though, is the triple-decker croque monsieur, one of the most delicious things we have eaten in the past year.

Nopi

Yotam Ottolenghi's 'brasserie with a twist' is decorated with cool white marble and brass, the more formal ground-floor dining room leading down to a basement with shared benches and communal tables. What do we love here? What don't we! Mixed-seed lavosh with avocado, golden and 'candy' beetroot with labneh and, of course, the famous twice-cooked baby chicken with lemon myrtle salt and chilli sauce.

Bone Daddies

If you thought the appetite for dirty food was on the wane, check out the Friday-night queue for a table at Bone Daddies, the tiny, no-res Soho ramen bar that punches above its weight. Now a new late-night menu, from 11pm, features chilli pork-belly buns and mazemen ramen - a soupless noodle dish best washed down with an Ume Shower cocktail (umeshu, amaretto and bitters), which is not just dirty, it's absolutely filthy.

Ember Yard

From the talented people behind Salt Yard and Dehesa, Ember Yard is pretty unprepossessing from the street - on our first visit we walked right past it. But on the other side of the door, in a warm and atmospheric space that feels like old Soho, lies a ferociously good small-plates restaurant with a Basque grill and a Spanish heart, even if it does take the odd foray into Tuscany. There's great charcuterie, sharp and stinky Spanish (and Italian) cheeses, roasted and chargrilled ribs with a seductive quince glaze and salt-marsh lamb chop with salsa verde.

Ham Yard

Those awfully clever Firmdale people (Soho and Covent Garden Hotels, the Crosby Street Hotel in New York) have done it again, with a gorgeous new property a stone's throw from Piccadilly Circus. And the restaurant's a humdinger. Think piping-hot eggs royale or pancakes for breakfast, and calf's liver with pancetta and capers for dinner under the stars - Ham Yard has a courtyard so divine that dinner reservations in summer are at a serious premium. Plus there are small plates, focaccia melts and ice-cream sandwiches all day alongside the vodka and gin martinis in the bar.

Jinjuu

City trader turned USA Food Network regular and former executive chef at the London Playboy Club, the unstoppable Judy Joo has opened her first restaurant here in London. And kimchi-crazed foodies can't get enough of her lettuce-wrapped barbecued meats, her pork belly tacos with apple and coleslaw or her Korean whole fried chicken. Jinjuu means 'pearl' in Korean, a perfect name for this diminutive restaurant off Carnaby Street, with its bar counter and high tables. 'The kimchi Bloody Mary is the best hangover cure in W1,' coos the multitalented Judy.

L'Escargot

Its red walls and black-lacquered chairs may give L'Escargot the look of an upmarket Chinese restaurant, but this belies its credentials as an 88-year-old franglais restaurant in the best Mrs Beeton tradition. Acquired and reopened last year by the irrepressible Brian Clivaz (of Home House and Arts Club fame), this historic Soho resto does wonderful snails (of course), foie gras with kumquats and a rich coq au vin. Prices are considerate and there's one thing we especially love - the restaurant is DOG-FRIENDLY.

Quo Vadis

The dream team of brothers Sam and Eddie Hart (Fino, Barrafina) and chef, wit and raconteur Jeremy Lee work together to make this one of Soho's liveliest spots. Quo Vadis is not only lovely to look at and comfortable as sin, it also delivers some of London's most exciting real British food with a maximum of flavour and a minimum of fuss. Come here for plovers' eggs, the first asparagus, bloater paste and berry mess. There's also a cracking fry-up for breakfast, with fresh bread from the QV bakery - most people agree that Jeremy Lee's buns have no equal.

Social Eating House

Kick off with a drink upstairs at the Blind Pig and then, if your ears are up to it, head downstairs to eat. Great food and trendy don't always go together, but Jason Atherton wrote the book... This place does wonderful scallops, chorizo dogs and steaks, but put any thoughts of sharing the sharing jars out of your head as you will want these ALL FOR YOURSELF. You'll leave deaf but happy.

Babaji

Alan 'Wagamama' Yau's new pide salonu, or Turkish pizzeria, is a beautiful space where as much attention has been given to the design as to the food: those World of Interiors-worthy exquisite blue-and-white-tiled walls, and the open kitchen around the central wood-burning oven. Meanwhile, topped with minced lamb, chicken or vegetables, the thin-crust pizzas, or pide, are a very clever take on what is essentially fast food, and there are also spanking-fresh meze and stews, as well as super-sweet puddings, all delivered with typical Yau pizzazz.

• Liker
Reaksjoner: sjuli_123 og Preacher
Hehe, var bare litt kødd vettu:) La merke til at Yates hadde blitt til TGI på Leicester Square ja. Men jeg holder meg nok i bardisken foran Josper'n.

• Liker
Reaksjoner: Edzilla
Hehe, var bare litt kødd vettu:) La merke til at Yates hadde blitt til TGI på Leicester Square ja. Men jeg holder meg nok i bardisken foran Josper'n.

Kødda med deg æv @Havvo Hi Hi. Snart er du medlem av #bleusquad og blitt en ekte #bleubro !
Foran Josper´n er stedet å henge. Kun 36 dager til mitt neste måltid hos The Palomar.

Bao er jævla bra saker. Yauhatcha kan sees litt på som Dinner i Oslo på steroider. Usikker på Atelier JR. Var der når den enda hadde 2 stjerner og vi var overrasket at den i det hele tatt fortjente én. Vi var på Pollen Street Social kvelden etter, som er mye bedre, selv om de sliter litt med sesongforståelse. Spiste jordskokker, kål og rødbeter der i juni. :confused:

Bao er jævla bra saker. Yauhatcha kan sees litt på som Dinner i Oslo på steroider. Usikker på Atelier JR. Var der når den enda hadde 2 stjerner og vi var overrasket at den i det hele tatt fortjente én. Vi var på Pollen Street Social kvelden etter, som er mye bedre, selv om de sliter litt med sesongforståelse. Spiste jordskokker, kål og rødbeter der i juni. :confused:

Så Bao er verdt ett besøk nå i påske?
Pollen Street Social har jeg lest mye lovende om. Men jordskokker, kål og rødbeter midt på sommeren blir bare helt feil.. Skulle vel være textbook å bruke sesongens råvarer. Selv om man driver en rimlig laid back restaurant.

• Liker
Reaksjoner: ahpadt
Bao er definitivt verdt et besøk, men du må regne med å vente utenfor i 20-40 minutter.

Pollen Street Social er ikke spesielt laid back. Det er ikke lange duker og 40 servitører rundt hvert hjørne, men det er ikke langt unna. Alt du får der er av svært høy kvalitet men om jeg vil på et sånt sted nå ville jeg heller dratt på The Square eller The Ledbury. Var på Hibiscus i sommer med familien etter min graduation. Sikkert et fint sted om du skal på date med ei som du har lyst til å imponere (happy ending) men ikke så mye annet. Ble litt skuffa. Det man fikk var av høy kvalitet men det var ikke mye av det. Første gang jeg har blitt skuffa mtp porsjonsstørrelser.

Har lest at stemningen og stilen (dress code) på Pollen Street Social er relaxed. Men har som sagt ikke besøkt de. Men kanskje jeg skal heller prioritere de andre som jeg har på listen.
The Ledbury er på min shortlist å skal absolutt besøkes.
Men vurderer også en helaften på Michel Roux Le Gavroche. Men det blir når madamen skal feires til høsten.

• Liker
Reaksjoner: ahpadt